Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Podcasts 1

This sounds like an easy task! But I'm sure a lot of people are going to have the same difficulty with this - IT departments and their restrictions on what we can access!!! We are lucky in that IT have opened up access to youtube, flickr etc, but that doesn't help when there isn't any sound. We have a work around - a "public access" PC set up in the workroom, but it is near other staff members and that can cause other problems in itself! A couple of staff here have taken to coming in early and listening to the audio part of this course on the Public Access terminals in the main Library. If this is happening to us - information professionals - I can only imagine the problems that other members of the public may encounter - particularly those in country areas that don't have access to ADSL/broadband internet access!!

I can see that podcasts would be useful for some things, but I think we would have to be really careful with copyright issues - particularly performance rights. I'm not sure of the relevance to a library presenting a podcast, unless of course you already record something for broadcast, I know a previous library manager here use to have a regulary weekly spot on a local radio station.

No comments: